Student Spotlight: Florence Darko

Molly Fleri, Writer

Florence Darko is an active member of the community and the school. In the community, she volunteered at the library over the summer and is currently applying for jobs. At school, Darko’s favorite activity to participate in was clubs.

Darko, a member of Key Club since elementary school, was the president of the club. She gave back to the community by being a part of Key Club, and encouraged others to join. Darko aimed to increase the interest in service work through Key Club as she believed that service work is the best activity anyone can do. “At the end of the day, that is an individual’s duty to give back to the community,” Darko explained.

At the end of the day, that is an individual’s duty to give back to the community.”

— Florence Darko

Darko also desired to help girls feel confident enough to be themselves. In order to achieve this, Darko started a club called “Girl Up” about female empowerment and education. She planned to help girls in developing countries and in our local area through the work of her club. With sponsors Mrs. Ayres and Mrs. Lacey, the club will be meeting for the first time in a few weeks.

According to Attiyah Abdul-Alim, “Florence is a very genuine and sweet person, and seeing the work she does at school and in the community is extremely inspiring.”