Grafton’s Marching Band: The Work, the Memories, the Laughter, and the Fun

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emma Richards, Staff

The Grafton Clipper Band, with over 190 students, is one of the most successful groups in the history of Grafton High School. With hundreds of trophies, hundreds of wins, and millions of memories, Mr. Kirsch knows what he is doing.

It’s not only pleasing, but it really gives you a sense of how hard everyone works to make each detail better.”

— Beau Wong

Marching band is the one of the most competitive groups out there, and while a few consider it a sport, most do not.

“I think marching band is a sport. A sport is defined as an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against one another or others for entertainment; marching band includes all of that,” says Lucile Guo, a flute, piccolo, and sousaphone player.

As much as people think that marching band is one of the easiest activities to do during the fall, most people are mistaken.

“It takes a lot of coordination and practice to get it to look just right. If one person is off, the formation doesn’t look right,” explains Ethan Molin, a tuba player.

Most every member of the team loves the activity. They enjoy hanging out with their band peers, going to competitions, going to football games, and playing at pep rallies.  Students like Tim Asher, a clarinet/bassoon player, and Hannah McCall, a flute/piccolo player, love band. Both students wish to continue it through high school and possibly become a section leader.

According to clarinet section leader, Beau Wong, the hardest thing to overcome this season was working on the consistency of the performance quality during practices. Yet, his favorite part was watching each of the shows come together little by little. Wong expresses his admiration for the band: “It’s not only pleasing, but it really gives you a sense of how hard everyone works to make each detail better.”