Homecoming 2016: Hit or Miss?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming 2016: Hit or Miss?

Christian Fary and his friends having a blast with each other.

Joelle Miller, Opinion Editor 2016-2017

Homecoming at Grafton High School is one of the only two school dances offered to students, and the only that is available to every grade. Students approach homecoming with high expectations and hopes of a fun night to remember. Preparation for the dance is often stressful, but much worth the effort during pictures when everyone looks absolutely ravishing.

For many, homecoming was an enjoyable night full of dancing and talking with friends in a welcoming environment where virtually no one is judged based on funky dance moves or uncommon apparel, because everyone is too busy having a great experience themselves.

Perceptions of the best part of homecoming varied from student to student. Some agreed that their favorite part was just the atmosphere overall, while some had more specific moments that made the night for them. There were also criticisms of the night.

“My favorite part was […] the atmosphere and just having a blast with all of my friends as we served looks,” but “my least favorite part was […] that they played two slow dance songs in a row,” said Jovina Svaronowic, a senior at Grafton.

And, “my favorite part was dancing with my friends,” said junior Christina Jefferson, while “my least [favorite part] was having teachers stare at you while you’re breaking it down.” c80

Especially enjoyable was “when they played Beyoncé,” reported junior Kaity Leherr, and “taking pictures and going out to dinner with friends,” said Jules Patel, also a junior.

Important to note is the freshman perspective, as it was the first high school dance that they experienced. Freshmen haven’t been in the high school atmosphere for long, meaning they have an outside view of the night and whether it lived up to their preconceived notions about high school dances; Reports of the night were virtually the same as upperclassmen.

The best part of the night was “being with friends,” while “the line to get in and wearing heels” were downsides, said freshman Alexis Leherr.

Overall, the night was unanimously worthwhile. Grafton’s 2016 homecoming successfully continued it’s tradition of being an event for students of all grade levels and personalities. Whether going purely for the food, to get ready with friends, or for the dinner beforehand, the night had a little something for everyone to enjoy.