Language Con 2019

Ahyoka Stephens, Staff

For the first time ever, Grafton High will be hosting Language Con. The convention will be held on May 30th from 6-8 p.m. in the school cafeteria and auditorium. Participation in the event is mandatory for all students enrolled in an upper-level French, German, or Spanish course.

All students participating in Language Con are required to submit one project in order to contribute to the success of the event. There are four different types of project that can be completed for Language Con: Perform, Cook, Compete, and Produce. Performances can be group or individual, and there will be a mandatory practice for all performers on May 23rd from 2:15-4:00 p.m. Cooking is and individual project, and all recipes used must relate to the language which the student is taking. Recipes are to be found on www.allrecipes.com/, and the final dish is to be brought to Language Con with a list of ingredients.

Students who wish to compete can choose from Flash Fiction, the Multilingual Spelling Bee, or the Art Contest. For those who choose Flash Fiction, a prompt will be released (date) on Remind, The student will then have 48 hours to answer the prompt in under 100 words. Those participating in the Multilingual Spelling Bee will be given a list of 90 terms in French, German, and Spanish to memorize. The spelling bee will be divided into three rounds in between acts during Language Con.

And last, but not least, are students who choose to produce something. Students who choose to do a project from this category will create a video that is to be presented at Language Con. Videos must be at least 2 minutes long, but no longer than 5 minutes. These projects can be a commercial, grammar lesson, how-to video, or a music video. Students can also film themselves doing a performance if they are uncomfortable performing it live.

Finally, on May 30, all participants of Language Con will convene in the school cafeteria. Family members are welcomed, and the night will begin with the eating of dishes prepared by those who chose Cooking as their project. Then, the event will move into the auditorium where everyone else will have a chance to present their projects. The night will end with an award ceremony for those who competed.