Earthquake Strikes the Philippines

Back to Article
Back to Article

Earthquake Strikes the Philippines

Workers continue rescue efforts on people still trapped inside a collapsed building at Porac town, Pampanga province, northern Philippines Monday, April 22, 2019. A strong 6.1 magnitude earthquake in the north Philippines on Monday trapped some people in a collapsed building, damaged an airport terminal and knocked out power in at least one province, officials said. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)

AP

AP

AP

Renae Wallace, Staff

On Monday April 22, 2019 a strong earthquake strikes the Philippines killing up to 16 people and trapping many in fallen buildings. According to CNN news, there are 13 people still unaccounted for at the local supermarket that collapsed. The quake was registered as a 6.1 magnitude. The following day, another earthquake hit. On Tuesday April 23, 2019 a 6.3 magnitude quake struck the area. This was not the worst the Philippines’ had seen but it did knock down most of the town’s electricity poles and destroyed multiple buildings.

When asked if they had heard about the incident, students were surprised that they had heard nothing. “I did not know about this! I think this should’ve been publicized more to bring awareness to the situation and to for support,” senior Lainey Griffin said.

The Philippines is located on what is called “the ring of fire,” an area with many active volcanoes and moving fault lines. Because of its location on the pacific, they frequently experience earthquakes. These quakes range from something too small to feel, to some of the biggest earthquakes in history. In 1990 they experienced a 7.7 magnitude earthquake that killed about 2,000 people.

“I have been in an earthquake, a very small one, in 2011. I wasn’t scared, I was more confused as to what was happening. I cannot imagine witnessing an earthquake any bigger than that!” senior Paige Fazenbaker.

Rescue crews continue to pull people out of the rubbish. Time Magazine informed that authorities recently stuck a tube into the ruble which blows out oxygen for those who are stuck and in need of air. The earthquake also damaged an airport terminal shutting down flights until the damage was repaired. It also put cracks in highways, bridges, and many buildings that must be fixed. The Philippines is bound to have many more earthquakes this year.