Foods in bowls: What is considered a soup or salad?

Everything+must+be+classified+a+soup+or+salad%3F+So+what+is+what%3F+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Everything must be classified a soup or salad? So what is what?

Marthastewart.com

Marthastewart.com

Marthastewart.com

Anything in a bowl falls under two categories: a soup or a salad. So the question arises, what is defined as a soup and what is a salad?

This question has been the subject of a terse debate for centuries. Until this point in time, philosophers had yet to set these definitions and end the unnecessary conflict. “A salad is anything in a bowl that is made up separated components. A soup, on the other hand, must have a liquid component and / or must have a main medium that is the same consistency and is not already separated into chunks,” self-proclaimed expert Allison Kenney states.

Following this line of reasoning, cereal can be classified as a soup. “[Soup] is predominately a liquid and the solid pieces in the food float,” local foodie Allen Fleming said.

“Cereal transitions from a salad to a soup as time progresses while you eat it,” Grafton English teacher Wallace Green says. This insightful thought about food leads to the question of which foods can transition from a salad to a soup?

“Noodles are definitely a salad. It is made of separate components and furthermore does not include the vital liquid component that a soup has,” Grafton senior Caroline Kasten said. Following this precedent, Chicken Noodle Soup is actually a salad. The broth is not a vital part of this dish, moreover one eats the individual ingredients of the dish. The focus is on the noodles and chicken rather than the liquid in Chicken Noodle Soup.

Another controversial bowl food is ice cream. Due to its main medium being of one consistency and being compact it has been classified as a soup. Additionally, its ability to become a liquid when small amounts of heat are applied strengthens the argument behind its classification.

“Chili is a soup because you can’t stab it,” amateur foodie Carrie Frecker said. The subject of chili’s classification is a source of division amongst food connoisseurs everywhere. Some argue that there is not enough liquid present for it to be a soup while others, such as Carrie, argue in favor of soup using the utensil argument.

There are some dissenting opinions on this approach to defining soups and salads. “If you can put it on a plate, it is not a soup,” yearbook advisor Charity Ayres stated.

However, this is just simply not true. “That is blasphemous. Clearly, there are many examples of soups that can be put on a plate. For example, you could technically put ice cream on a plate, but it’s a soup,” brunch expert Sophie Scheeren said. Therefore the statement remains true, if it can be served in a bowl it must be considered either a salad or a soup.

About the Writers
Hannah Andersen, Staff

Her hobbies include staring at a black line for 2.5 hours everyday and finding new ways to procrastinate on everything she has to do. Hannah swims year round.

Allison Kenney, Sports Editor

In her free time, Allison enjoys making left turns for hours on end, binge watching Netflix, and eating gelato. She seeks to prove that doing nothing truly is possible and plans on attending a college with über comfy chairs in its library.