Us Movie Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Us Movie Review

Google Images

Google Images

Google Images

Mia Young, Staff

On March 22, 2019, the movie Us was released. This horror and thriller film was directed by Jordan Peele, starring actors such as, Lupita Nyong’o, Winston Duke, Elisabeth Moss, and many more. Us is about a family who takes a vacation to their beachfront home in Santa Cruz, California where Adelaide Wilson grew up as a child. Haunted by a horrifying experience in the past, Adelaide feels that something bad will happen to her and her family. The Wilsons spend their day at the beach with friends, the Tyler’s, and shortly after return home. Later that evening when it hits nightfall, the Wilsons discover four masked strangers in their driveway who descend upon their house. Once they unmasked their selves the family is terrified to see that they look exactly like them.

“What I like about the movie Us is the bigger idea behind it all, that we are our worst enemies. it spreads a light on a topic that’s not frequently talked about. Not to mention, I love thrillers and overall it was just a good movie to watch”, said Teariny Fairley.

Many people were excited for this movie because of the great outcome of Jordan Peeles previous movie called, Get Out. This movie was a social exploration of our society which made people have a different perspective on life. Us also is jam packed with metaphors and hidden meanings. Peele had said, “I think the main idea that went into writing this film is that we’re our own worst enemy, and that idea create this monster, The Tethered”. Us was inspired by episode from a show titled Mirror Image, in which a women meets her doppelganger at a bus depot and becomes convinced that it is trying to replace her.

“This movie made me think a lot about the way our society is and how we go about our lives”, said Sophomore Lexus Richmond.