The Perfect Date Review

Clare Mackrella, Staff

If you loved Netflix’s original romantic comedies such as To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before or The Kissing Booth, get ready for its latest release, The Perfect Date. Sophomore, Samantha Stafford exclaimed, “I’ve loved all of the latest Netflix original movies that were released in the past year and am excited to fall in love with this one too!”

The film features Noah Centineo as Brooks Rattigan and previous Disney Channel actress, Laura Marano as Celia Lieberman. After being featured as Peter Kavinsky in To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, Noah Centineo instantly won the hearts of girls everywhere. However, the actor had been involved in several movies and TV shows long before the Netflix original was released last year, including The Fosters and Disney Chanel’s How to Build a Better Boy.

Laura Marano is most famously known for her role as Ally Dawson in the Disney Channel show Austin and Ally, in which Noah Centineo was also featured as Ally’s love interest, Dallas. This made The Perfect Date even more appealing to teens and children who grew up watching Disney Channel shows like Austin and Ally.

“I really enjoyed the movie especially because it had Noah Centineo and Laura Marano as love interests, just like when they were both on Disney,” junior, Ada Reed stated.

The movie also stars Camila Mendes from Netflix’s Riverdale as the popular and beautiful Shelby, who Brooks spends a majority of his time attempting to win her heart.

Based on the book The Stand-In by Steve Bloom, The Perfect Date follows the story of Brooks Rattigan, a student with a dream of attending Yale. However, while he has the grades, he doesn’t have the money. After getting paid to take a girl he hasn’t met before to her school dance, Brooks and his best friend decide to create an app for which people can pay for whatever kind of date they need and Brooks will step in and be their escort. With this app, Brooks becomes a cowboy for a rodeo date, a tennis partner, a rude boyfriend for a family dinner so a girl’s parents will be relieved when they meet her actual boyfriend, a salsa dancer, and more.

Brooks and Celia work together to grab the attention of both of their crushes while also becoming closer friends with each other. This movie will make you laugh, cry, and feel that warm fuzzy feeling all together.