Thank U, Next

Back to Article
Back to Article

Thank U, Next

Thank U, Next cover album cover art for physical and digital versions

Republic

Republic

Republic

Ahyoka Stephens, Staff

Just last August, Ariana Grande dropped her album, Sweetener. It was a huge success, topping international album charts with three top 20 singles. Now, merely six months later, she’s ready to release her next album: Thank U, Next. Fans everywhere are counting down the days until the album arrives. “I’m super excited and ready to dance in my room alone until 3:00 am just listening to some Ari.”, exclaims Freshman Erin Otten.

Ariana Grande’s fifth studio album is set to release on February 8, 2019. The album will have 12 full-length tracks, three of which have already been released. Unlike all of her previous albums, Thank U, Next will not have an intro or any features. The album also technically has two cover arts, one for the digital edition and one for the physical copy.

Grande’s newest album will feature three singles and one promotional single on it. The leading single and title track for the album, “thank u, next”, was released on November 3, 2018. The song was a huge hit, and the official music video accompanying it came out on November 30th. Grande then released her first promotional single for the album, “imagine” on December 14, 2018 and her latest hit single, “7 rings” debuted on January 18 of this year. After listening to all three bops, fans are anxious to get their hands on the full album. Junior Mary-Page Fisher says,”I’m eager to see how many hit songs she’ll have on this album!”

Already, Thank U, Next is making history, even before its release.  It is one of the only albums to have two songs reach number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. Her singles “thank u, next” and “7 rings” both claimed number one on the charts for numerous weeks, with “7 rings” still remaining at number 1. Prior to Grande, Drake’s Scorpion and Mariah Carey’s Daydream have been the only two albums with this accomplishment. Her hit single, “thank u, next” also broke YouTube records by having the most views within the first 24 hours of release. The music video also holds the record for most-viewed using YouTube Premier as well as the record for most chat messages sent during the debut.

Beginning in March, Ariana Grande will embark on the North American leg of her Sweetener world tour. Instead of doing a separate tour for Thank U, Next, Grande has decided to combine the two tours into one. The North American leg of the tour will end on July 13 at Madison Square Garden, with Normani and Social House as the opening acts. The European leg of the tour will then kick off on August 17, ending in Zürich on October 13.

So far, Ariana Grande is off to a great start this year. With the release of her last album and her newest one yet to come, Grande’s fans can’t wait to hear her latest tunes.

About the Writer
Ahyoka Stephens, Staff

Ahyoka runs cross country and indoor/ outdoor track for Grafton. In her free time, she reads, travels, and spends time with her family and friends.