Top Trends of 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Top Trends of 2018

Fortnite Dance challenge of flossing vs. Backpack Kid

WatchMojo

WatchMojo

WatchMojo

Ahyoka Stephens, Staff

As we kick off the year of 2019, new trends are already being set, for example, the infamous world record egg. However, it’s important to look back and remember the many trends of 2018 that paved the way for what’s to come this year.

As has been the trend since the 20th century, new and infections dance moves were busted out last year. Only instead of doing the fox trot, people were doing newer, groovier dance challenges, like the Fortnite dance challenge or the “In My Feelings” challenge. These new grooves went viral with people across the globe uploading videos of them doing the new dances. One kid even became famous for creating a new dance called the floss.

Another major trend of last year was the infamous Yanny vs Laurel debate. Similar to the controversial Instagram post of the blue/black or white/gold dress of 2015, the Yanny vs Laurel argument took the internet by storm. An audio clip of a person repeating a word had been uploaded, however what was being said was very unclear. Many listeners claimed to hear Yanny while others swore they heard Laurel. This massive debate continued for weeks, gaining popularity as it went. It was never discovered what was actually being said, but scientists and vocal experts have come up with different conclusions as to what the original word was and why people were hearing the two different things.

Sophomore Kayla Finley says,”It was stupid because you could hear whatever you wanted, but overall it started some good tea on the internet.”

The year of 2018 didn’t only start new trends, but even revived some old ones. Vintage styles hugely influenced the fashion world, such as the reemergence of high-waisted jeans and scrunchies. Popular looks from the ’80s and ’90s were adopted, making street wear and grunge looks the go-to. Another major trend that made a comeback was the fanny pack.  Originally, people had reverted back to them for their practicality. However, it was soon discovered that the fanny pack could also be used as a stylish accessory. In response to their growing popularity, designer labels created their own lines of fanny packs, thus fueling the craze.

“My mom wears fanny packs everywhere, and she’s a queen.” claims Sophomore Jill Graves.

2018 was a year full of trends, both new and old. The internet went viral trying to keep up with all of the buzz. So, as we continue into 2019, new trends are bound to be set.