Aquaman Review

Nathan Hensley, Staff

The king of Atlantis has never been represented better. DC’s new film Aquaman, starring Jason Momoa, was a hit in the box office. It was DC’s only film release of 2018. The movie has reached over one billion dollars in the box office after three weeks of release, and has stayed on top of the charts since. At the time of writing, it has a score of 7.5/10 on IMDb, and got a 65% on Rotten Tomatoes. Also, 94% of fans voted that they enjoyed the movie on a Google survey. The movie has not been nominated or given any awards yet, although director James Wan feels as if the movie deserves an Oscar nomination or some other kind of recognition for the movie’s phenomenal visual effects. The movie is DC’s biggest box office success since Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman.

Aquaman ranks high among DC movies that have released in the last ten years. DC’s biggest hits, such as the Dark Knight series, Wonder Woman, and Suicide Squad are possibly DC’s greatest accomplishments in the film industry. The Dark Knight was nominated for eight Oscars, winning two of them. They were Best Supporting Actor, given to the posthumous Heath Ledger for his performance as the Joker, as well as Best Sound Editing. Wonder Woman was rated incredibly high, by fans and critics. Suicide Squad was given solid ratings and was given an Oscar for Best Makeup and Hairstyling. Although DC may not have found the same level of success as its rival company, Marvel, they’ve still had box office hits and some award-winning films within the last decade.

“The movie was good,” junior Tristan Jenkins said. The opinion of the movie was common with many students. “The movie had really good effects.” The aspect of Aquaman that director James Wan felt should be recognized with rewards, was complimented the most among any quality of the movie. And it wasn’t for no reason; the movie did had spectacular visual effects.

Overall, the movie received mostly positive reviews from students, critics, and other viewers. It seems to have been a successful release, still on top of the box office after weeks of its initial release.  Aquaman may not be an award-winning film, but it reeled in new fans of the DC Universe, and kept some loyal ones hooked on the films. Despite DC being inconsistent with box office hits and flops, as well as positive and negative reviews, it seems like Aquaman was a success for the franchise. 2019 will be an interesting year for DC films, since two films are set to release by the end of the year. With Shazam! and Joker set to release in 2019, and only time will tell if these films will be as successful as Aquaman, or if the movie will flop as hard as Justice League.

About the Writer
Nathan Hensley, Staff

Nathan's hungry.