Golden Globes 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Golden Globes 2019

Alyssa Richards, Staff

As we enter 2019, we had the 76th Golden Globes Awards. Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg hosted the show. It aired on Sunday, January 6th.  Some of the awards given out throughout the night included: BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA: Rami Malek, for Bohemian Rhapsody, BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA: The Americans, BEST MOTION PICTURE – ANIMATED : Spider Man: Into the Spider-Verse, BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA: Bohemian Rhapsody, and BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN ANY MOTION PICTURE: Regina King.

Many artists attended the event including; Lady Gaga, Michael B. Jordan, Emily Blunt, and John David Washington.  Many celebrities attended and hosted events such has ” Isan Elba Talks Mental Health, Being Bullied at HFPA Luncheon”, at the Beverly Hilton.  When she arrived to the luncheon after the Golden Globes Red Carpet said her mom “suffers from mental illness”.  The HFPA Announces $2 Million in Journalism Grants during the event also.

“Our association composed of 88 active members from 50 countries also recently donated $300,000 to organizations helping people affected by the California wildfires and the mass shooting in Thousand Oaks as well as a special donation to RAICES, purveyor of legal services to immigrant families and instrumental in the effort of reuniting families forcefully separated at the US border.”

“If it wasn’t for my mom encouraging me to open up about my feelings, talk about what happened that day, even if it was hard for me to get out because I was crying so much, she just made me take my time and decompress,” she told the crowd.

Glenn Close got her first Globe in a decade throughout the night.  She beat Lady Gaga in Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture.  In her speech she mentioned “how so many women — including her mother — put their own dreams and desires aside to nurture their husbands and families”.

Oprah accepted her award and began a speech.  She stated “what I know for sure is that speaking your truth is the most powerful tool we all have,” Ms. Winfrey said.  “For too long, women have not been heard or believed if they dared to speak their truth to the power of those men” she says.  The whole audience rose to their feet.  “Their time is up!” she ends with.

Many celebrities got many awards and got to caught up with friends and had a good time!

About the Writer
Alyssa Richards, Staff

Alyssa enjoys discovering new music and making new friends. When she's with her friends, she's always smiling and laughing.