Mary Poppins Returns

Mary Poppins Returns

Disney

Mary Poppins Returns

Caroline Austin, Staff

On December 19th, Mary Poppins returned to theaters across America in a remake starring Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins and Hamilton creator Lin Manuel-Miranda as Jack. The movie takes place in the Banks’ home 20 years after the original Mary Poppins during the Great Depression. Michael Banks’ wife has been dead for a year and Mary Poppins comes to nanny his children. Throughout the movie, their home is in danger of being repossessed due to the economic hardships of the 1930s.

The movie sticks to the original style of animation in that it mixes cartoon animals with live-action people. As for the soundtrack, Marc Shaiman’s brilliantly composed score sets the playful and childlike tone of the movie with fun and inspiring tracks like “Trip a Little Light Fantastic” and “Can You Imagine That?” Emily Blunt portrays an elegant, caring, and playful Mary Poppins through beautifully sung musical masterpieces. The movie is also full of brilliant instrumental pieces that pay homage to the original soundtrack, such as “Kite Takes Off” (a nod to the original soundtrack’s acclaimed song “Let’s Go Fly A Kite”).  As for Lin Manuel-Miranda, taking on the role of Jack is a far cry from the usual Broadway-style rappers he traditionally plays. However, his inner Hamilton shines through in the musical number “A Cover Is Not the Book”, when Miranda exhibits his spot-on rap skills- all while maintaining a reputable Cockney accent.

Director Rob Marshall, the artist behind Into The Woods (2014) and the 2002 screenplay of Chicago, gives a nod to the original Mary Poppins while simultaneously allowing this movie to stand on its own. While the story line of Michael Banks and his children is an original creation, the musical numbers beautifully mirror those of the 1964 original and pays homage to the novel by P. L. Travers.

The movie itself is gentle and inspiring. It is full of valuable life lessons that everyone can relate to and wisdom that adults and children alike can benefit from, such as not judging a book by its cover, what it’s like to deal with loss, and the importance of sticking by your family through the tough times.

Overall, Mary Poppins Returns is a lively and fun piece of cinema that fans of the original movie and new generations alike will equally enjoy. From the wonderful musical numbers to the heartwarming truths of sticking with your family, it’s a movie sure to leave a lasting impression.

Senior Kat Harrison said, “I did enjoy the movie. I loved how they interpreted the old into the new one.”

However, nobody summed it up better than Senior Rachel Ramsey, who said,

“It was lit.”

About the Writer
Caroline Austin, Staff

Caroline loves playing guitar, piano, ukulele, drums, and steel drums. In her free time, she likes painting and visiting Washington D.C.