The Forgotten Holidays of December

Ahyoka Stephens, Staff

As the month of December begins, it brings with it many important holidays, such as Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa. However, many people are unaware of the many other holidays December has to offer.

All 31 days of this month each have a particular holiday attached to it, whether it be a cultural and worldwide celebration or a trivial nation-wide day of appreciation. Yet, despite the long list of holidays that fall within the month of December, very few are widely celebrated. Most people are unaware of these minor holidays and are therefore ignorant of the many perks these holidays sometimes include.

Apart from the traditional December festivities, there are many celebrations to partake in this month. Important holidays including World AIDS Awareness day, International Day for the Abolition of Slavery Day, International Day of Persons with Disabilities, International Volunteer Day, St. Nicholas Day, National Remembrance of Pearl Harbor Day, International Civil Aviation Day, day of Reconciliation, and Boxing Day, will occur this month, along with many others.

In addition to the various holidays during this month that are of greater significance, there are tons of other quirky holidays that are equally as fun to celebrate. This month, people have the opportunity to observe or participate in holidays like National (Lemon) Cupcake Day, National Mutt Day, Wear Brown Shoes Day, Ninja Day, and more. More often than not, these more obscure holidays are supported by retailers and restaurants. So, it can be beneficial to be aware of these holidays, for then one can usually find at least one business who has some type of bargain or sale in honor of the holiday.

In asking students their opinions on some of the holidays that are to pass this month, it was evident that most were unaware of any holidays other than the major ones, Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa. “I don’t know, the only holidays I know of in December are Hanukkah and Christmas, and maybe Chinese New Years,” Junior Asia Patterson said.

Sophomore Isiah Duhart stated, “I know there’s Christmas and Hanukkah. Are there any other holidays in December? I think those are the two main ones.”

Sophomore Macey Stockdill added, “I know of Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa, that’s all.” Sophomore Micheal Schexnayder similarly agreed stating, “I know in December there’s Christmas and Hanukkah, I don’t know if Kwanzaa is still a thing, but if that exists, then Kwanzaa too.”

After talking with many of the Grafton Clippers, it became clear that the majority of students were clueless as to the many holidays that December has to offer. However, perhaps after reading this article, people will feel more inspired to give a few of these holidays a chance. An easy way to always stay up to date on holidays is through the Holiday Today app, which will send you a list of holidays for every day of the year. Hopefully, this month will be full celebrations and some less known holidays will have their chance in the spotlight too.