Final Band Competition: Warrior Classic

Back to Article
Back to Article

Final Band Competition: Warrior Classic

Ahyoka Stephens, Staff

On November 3, 2018, the Clipper marching band competed in the 28th annual Warrior Classic. Hosted by the Kecoughtan Warrior Band, the competition was held at the Darling Stadium in Hampton. The band performed exceptionally well, with 4 first place wins in various categories, and managed to snag the overall title of Grand Champion.

The Clipper band had a solid performance without any mishaps. Their theme for the show, Redemption, was executed in the band’s performances of “Stairway to Heaven” by Led Zeppelin, “Creep” by Radiohead, and “Angels in the Architecture” by Frank Ticheli.  The band had a strong show that not only won them 1st place in drum major, color guard, and percussion, but the Grand Champion title as well.

Seeing as many of the Clipper band members are seniors this year, this competition was not only the final performance of the season, but of their high school careers as well.

Band Senior Liam Purdy reminisces,”I would have to say it was bitter sweet for me. It’s been a blast to do it for so long and I was happy to end the season with a grand champion, but it was also the last marching band show I had until maybe college. I’m going to miss the experiences that I had there, but it was definitely worth every minute of the time I spent.”

Seniors Emma Spata and Ethan Mulan similarly state, “As a senior, I am so glad we won our last competition and I’m going to miss the trumpet section so much”, and “It was an amazing way to end off my senior year and band career. I didn’t realize how soon it was going to end.”

The Clipper band had a successful season finale, and after talking to many of the band’s seniors, it’s clear to see that they are proud of their final run.