Fall Sports Post-Season

Maya Hasenfang, Staff

The fall sports season came to an end with the teams working hard to make Grafton proud. After three months of practices, games, and competitions, the teams had many accomplishments.

Competition Cheer continues to wipe out the competition and received first place at the State tournament. This is their third consecutive year achieving this title. Junior Molly King, member of the competition cheer team, and last years Virginia 4A cheerleader of the year, said “We made sure that the newer athletes were mentally prepared to compete not only against the top teams in the state, but to compete in the biggest arena in front of thousands of people.” The competition cheer team left the competition victorious and now have to train and practice to keep their title for next year. King explained, “The team needs to keep pushing just as hard as any other year. It’s hard to get on top, but it’s harder to stay there.” Grafton wishes cheer the best of luck and to continue to accomplish their goals.

The other fall sports team, girl’s Volleyball, qualified for the State final for the second year in a row. Senior Haley Sutton, setter for the Volleyball team, said “It was very exciting to get back to the state finals for the second year, and I was ready to leave everything on the court.” This years final ended up being against Loudon, the same team they played the year before. This year was a chance for redemption for our Grafton Volleyball team. Sadly, after a tough battle the Volleyball team lost, 3-1, placing second in the 4A State tournament. Sutton said “We were upset that the season was over, but we didn’t give up like last year which I was proud of.” No matter the outcome of the game, Girls Volleyball surpassed the competition to make it to the State final.

About the Writer
Maya Hasenfang, Staff

Maya plays soccer, basketball, and lacrosse for Grafton High School. She enjoys reading and spending time with her friends.