APES and Marine Biology Trip 2017

Emma Sreves, Staff 2018-2019

This year marks the fifth year that the AP Environmental Science and Marine Biology trip has taken place. Students traveled to Gloucester with Bay Country Kayaking for the trip which took place on September 28 and October 1. On this trip students partake in activities such as kayaking, water quality testing, and using nets to catch fish and other wildlife in the area. The AP Environmental Science and Marine Biology trip helps students learn about terrestrial environments and aquatic biomes. This trip is helpful to students because it provides them with a greater understanding of certain things they will learn in class later this year.

Students tend to enjoy this trip every year which shows why the seats fill up fast. While talking about the many things she enjoyed by the trip Abby Zwirschitz said, “I enjoyed the trip because I got to kayak and learn with my friends.” Abby Zwirschitz also said that while on the trip she, “learned how to test the ph of water and caught fish to see what types of wildlife were in the area.” Katharine Lewis, another student who went on the trip said, “it was so wonderful to see nature in a way that I had never seen it before.” This trip teaches students a lot about environmental science and marine biology and gives them a learning experience that they would never be able to achieve within a classroom.

Mr. Meade, the AP Environmental Science teacher who accompanied his students on the trip again this year, said that he enjoys getting to watch the students learn outside of the classroom. When asked why he enjoys taking students on this trip every year he jokingly answered, “mainly seeing kids fall in the water is my favorite part, but no one fell in this year so it was disappointing.” Mr. Meade believes that this trip is helpful to students because, “it makes it easier for some students to better understand the material we are going to learn in class because they have actually been put into the environment and experienced what things are actually like.” Some changes Mr. Meade thinks would make the trip more beneficial would be to make the trip less costly so more students can go on it and have the trip last longer so the students can learn more.

Hopefully students continue to enjoy this trip in the future and broaden their understanding about marine biology and environmental science.