Brett Kavanaugh and the Controversy Behind Him

On October 7th, 2018, Honorary Brett Kavanaugh was inducted into the SCOTUS, or the Supreme Court of the United States. Through this nomination and approval into the highest court, the United States government is met with a lot of backlash and controversy over whether he is fit for the role as a Supreme Court Justice, or if his seat is illegitimate due to being nominated by a POTUS stipulated to have committed federal crimes.

Brett M. Kavanaugh was born February 12th, 1965, and attended Georgetown Preparatory School and then successively Yale University as a law major. During his time at Yale, he has been alleged to have sexually assaulted at least one woman- Deborah Ramirez. At his time at Georgetown Preparatory, he allegedly sexually assaulted Ms. Christine Blasey Ford, and alleged to have  participated in a group sexual assault of Ms. Julia Swetnick, all three at being parties while he was under the influence of alcohol.

When met with these allegations, Hon. Kavanaugh denied these allegations “unequivocally and categorically” as a smear campaign on “behalf of the Clintons”, referencing his part in the impeachment process of the former POTUS Bill Clinton.

These allegations, however incomplete or complete, are very serious. During his hearing, he became visibly upset and seemingly offended. He also stated he does not have a problem, even though he repeatedly referenced the topic of alcohol consumption throughout his opening testimony to the Senate. Some thought that his response in the courtroom, specifically his anger, tears, and adamant rhetoric, was unprofessional for a licensed judge. Some also believe this reaction is a representation of how he would behave as a Justice to the Supreme Court, possibly putting his emotions before logic, making him partisan to issues he is supposed to remain bipartisan towards.

These allegations came in response to Mr. Trump’s nomination of Kavanaugh and his successive admission into the highest court, and were seen by some as an attempt to keep corruption from one of our most important branches of government. After the rise of these allegations, an FBI probe was commissioned, while being under deep scrutiny by the POTUS Donald Trump and White House Staff. According to the current FBI Director, Christopher A. Wray, it “was limited in its reach and scope” and did not interview or include any of the people bringing these allegations to light.

Hon. Kavanaugh received testimonies against him from his friends at Georgetown Prepatory and Yale University during and succeeding the investigation, however they were not included in the investigation.

After all of this transpired, Mr. Trump publicly mocked the testimony of one of the plaintiffs Christine Ford at a rally of his in Southaven, Mississippi. This was met with backlash, which Trump responded, “If I had not made that speech, we would not have won.” Many see this to mean that the point of the lawsuit was to win, not whether or not the allegations are true.

Kavanaugh has since remained largely out of the public eye. No one can state specifically why, but it seems he is attempting to avoid further scrutiny into the matters in which he was tried for.

According to Mr. Shriner, one of the U.S. Government teachers, “It is still up for debate whether or not his seat is illegitimate.” However, one must keep in mind that Democrats often stand for “more government control” while Republicans stand for “less government control”.

Was Brett Kavanugh guilty? Or was he innocent? Due to the limited coverage from the press and statements from the White House, the question may never been answered.