Welcoming Coach Jarvis

Emma Sreves, Staff 2018-2019

In his high school years, Coach Jarvis met someone who changed his life. That person was his high school football coach. Coach Jarvis said his high school football coach, “was not only a good football coach, but was a good mentor as well and he helped shape me as a person.” The kindness and guidance that his football coach gave him made him want to be able to help others and guide them the same way his football coach did.

This year at Grafton High School, we welcomed our new head football coach and math teacher, Coach Jarvis. Coach Jarvis comes to Grafton from Dinwiddie High School in Dinwiddie, Virginia where he also taught math and coached football.

When asked how many years he has been teaching and coaching Coach Jarvis said, “This is my ninth year of teaching and coaching football, but I also played football throughout high school and college at the University of Virginia.”

Other than playing football, Coach Jarvis also teaches multiple math classes. Those math classes being AP Stats, Algebra 1, and AFDA. When asked why he chose to teach math Coach Jarvis answered, “I’ve always liked math and I knew I wanted to teach and coach so I chose to teach math.”

While he coached at Dinwiddie High School for four years, their football team was very good and made it to the state championship. Coach Jarvis hopes to one day get the Grafton football team to this level and thinks our football team has already shown a lot of improvement this year.

Besides being a coach and teacher, Coach Jarvis is also a husband and father. He has one son that is four and another son on the way that is due in January. His family is adjusting to Yorktown very well and they are enjoying their time here.

Grafton High School is excited to welcome Coach Jarvis and we hope he has a great first year here.