History of Our Special Olympics

September 28, 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

History of Our Special Olympics

The Grafton High School Special Olympics club is a student-led club that works with the special education classes and local Special Olympics Virginia athletes. This club takes part in fun and social activities every week and trains and competes in many different sports. The Special Olympics club also volunteers around the community such as the SmartSwim program.

This club was brought to Grafton by Yenna Chu. She first came across the Special Olympics when she volunteered at a Special Olympics swim meet with her year-round swim team.

Yenna said she became fascinated by the “great spirits of the Special Olympics such as inclusion, acceptance, respect, and unity.”

Soon after Yenna attended more events, she shared her experiences with her freshman peers and decided to start the first Special Olympics here at Grafton High School in 2015.

In the past, Yenna organized two main activities for the Special Olympics Club, Special Olympics activities and School/Community activities. The members of the club have been working with Special Olympics athletes and participating in many volunteer opportunities through many events such as the Special Olympics Summer Games in Richmond, Special Olympics Soccer Team, Polar Plunge Festival in Virginia Beach.

Even though Chu is a senior, she hopes to continue her legacy after she graduates and impassion people to participate in community service activities that help others.

About the Writer
Mia Young, Staff

Mia likes to cheer, listen to music, travel, sing, and hang out with friends.