Jamestown Football Game

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jamestown Football Game

Grafton football team at their game against Jamestown.

Candid Color

Candid Color

Candid Color

Lexi Holmes, Staff

On September 21, 2018 the Clippers played their third game of the season against Jamestown High School and took an unfortunate loss.  Since last year, the football team has hired a new coach, Brandon Jarvis.  Due to the new coaching staff and overwhelming number of kids wanting to play, this year, they have made Grafton JV Football team.

Jarvis decided to create a JV team because it is the future for the program, and it gives the younger kids game experience.  He knew the record from last year and decided to take the role of coaching the team.

“I was looking to take the next step in coaching, and I thought it would be a great opportunity for my family and I, and also the kids playing,” Jarvis said.

Even though they did not quite get the results they wanted, the football team still played a great game according to fans.

Quarterback Bryson Fell threw the ball to Junior Max Schramel, scoring their first touchdown in the game during the third quarter.  Fans, cheerleaders, and the student section went wild, jumping up and down, screaming, and cheering.

“It was one of the best games for Grafton, because we actually scored,” Megan Spires said.

“I was very excited because it was my first touchdown pass as a freshman on Varsity,” Bryson Fell said.

The football team was more than happy because it was the first touchdown of the season.  As the game went on, Aidan Smagh scored another touchdown for the Clippers.  Once again, the filled stands cheered in excitement.

“It felt really good, I was glad I could do something to help the team and I think it gave the whole team some hope of coming back.  There are still things I need to improve on, like everybody else, but I feel like I performed better than I previously had,” Smagh said.

The football team was pleased, because they were so close to victory.  “The first and second half were very different.  We got off to a slow start, but made adjustments to offense and defense,” Jarvis said.

The Clippers fell short with the ending score being 13-21, but everyone was very proud of the team because they tried their hardest.

About the Writer
Lexi Holmes, Staff

Lexi loves to cheer, take pictures, listen to music, travel, and meet new people. She is at Grafton more than she is at home because of cheer!