Sam’s Declassified School Survival Guide

Back to Article
Back to Article

"Well, that couldn't have worked any better." - Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide

Gage Mazaika

Gage Mazaika

Gage Mazaika

Sam Madrigal, Staff 2018-2019

Freshman year can be tough. The transition from being top of the middle school food chain to the bottom of high school’s can really mess with your head. These are things you can do to set yourself up for success in both socially and academically.

Good advice for freshman year is actually study and do your homework. Classes like AP Human Geography and Algebra 2/Trig. are a lot harder than the classes you took in middle school so studying can help you improve your test scores. Junior Zach Johnson said, “Doing your homework gives you grades to fall back on if you fail a test.”

In high school, there’s more homework to do than in middle school so you may have to stay up later than normal. Also, you have to wake up earlier, so being tired is not uncommon among everyone. Sophomore Chandler Givens said, “Don’t sleep in class because it will put you on bad terms with your teachers.”

To prevent yourself from having to stay up until midnight, you should do your homework right when you get it and not procrastinate. It will stop you from having to do a pile of homework late at night and then sleeping is actually possible.

Buckling down in classes is important for your freshman year. Do not go into the year thinking if you do bad you will have the rest of high school to recover from the bad grades freshman year.

One more important thing to remember is that one may need to adapt to high school, whether that means following the trends or doing your own thing. If you have a good group of friends, all of this will be easy.

Having a comfortable place or group at school is really important to succeeding high school. “Find a place that you feel comfortable and have friends, like a club or an activity,” says senior Katie McCaffery. She has been a member in Grafton’s band since freshman year, playing the trombone during in concert band and leading the band on the field as their drum major. Band has been a big part of her high school experience because of all the friends and connections that she has made through the program.

Senior Rachel Ramsey’s advice to freshman is, “Don’t be afraid of change.” This speaks on so many levels because in high school you really discover who you are and things change over time and people who you were super close within middle school stray away from you. However, this is not a bad thing because it reveals to you who your real friends are those friendships are the ones that will last a lifetime.

That quote does not just apply to friendships, it can also apply to almost anything you do. Want to try something new? Do it! Want to change up your style or hang out with the person you would not normally hang out with? Go for it!

The best advice to give though is this, have fun. High school can be stressful at times but it can also be the source of some of the most fun you will have. If you just get decent grades and chill with your friends, your high school experience will be some of the best times of your life.