Support for Toby: raising money and awareness for Toby Spruill’s battle with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma

Junior Lauren MacDonald poses with seniors Stuart Ehrlich and Rachel Pabon, holding the shirts that were sold to raise money for Toby

Kenzie Peeke

Kenzie Peeke

Kenzie Peeke, Staff

When Grafton High School’s leadership class found out that student Toby Spruill was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, they started fundraisers to create school awareness in support of Toby’s journey.

For their second semester project, the leadership class chose to focus on Toby’s case, naming the project “Clippers Fighting Cancer”.

“We saw the great things leadership and SCA accomplished with Andrew, and we definitely wanted to continue the legacy of helping a fellow clipper,” senior Christina Jefferson, a member of the leadership class, said.

Collectively the class has created three different fundraisers to help with Toby’s medical expenses: Grafton T-shirts, bracelets, and the volleyball tournament which will take place on June 2nd. The T-shirt sales ended in every shirt being bought and $1748 in revenue, exceeding the class’s original expectations.

Kenzie Peeke
Stuart Ehrlich and Rachel Pabon pose with the bracelets made for Toby’s fundraiser

Senior Maggie Hayes, a member of the leadership class, said she likes how the class focuses on helping students inside and outside of the classroom.

“I think this is important [to do this fundraiser] because everyone has a life outside of school and you never know the hardships that people are facing,” Hayes said.

Mrs. Zwirschitz, the leadership class’s teacher, said learning to work collaboratively together and accomplishing a common goal as a team is one of the leadership class’s objectives.

“This experience has been good in unifying the class…It has helped open our eyes to be thankful and grateful for what we have,” Zwirschitz said.

Toby is currently in North Carolina to begin receiving procedures for stem cell transplants.

To donate to Toby’s recovery fund, follow the GoFundMe link below: https://www.gofundme.com/fundraising-for-toby

give love3