Make The Decision Now

Sami Wanderer

Sami Wanderer

Sami Gibbons, Staff

Prom comes with a lot of planning. Seniors and their guests search for their dresses, suits, and shoes, and book hair and nail appointments as well as dinner reservations as it gets closer to the day of prom. But along with all these details, administration and local first responders are attempting to make pledging to drive safely a part of the plan.

According to the CDC (Centers of Disease Control and Prevention), 28 people die in the US everyday in accidents involving a drunk driver. To keep Grafton students from becoming a part of that statistic, administration has used tactics like the 3D drunk driving simulation to make students aware of the responsibility they have when they drive the night of prom.

The NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) reports that every day 800 people are injured in a drunk-driving accident. A drunk driving crash occurs every two minutes.

You have seen the 3D drunk driving simulation. You probably know or know someone who knows a victim of a drunk-driving accident. The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence reports that 2 in 3 people will be involved in a drunk driving crash during their life. If everyone knows it is a major problem, why do these accidents continue to happen?

Many people see these statistics and think they could never hurt someone if they get behind the wheel. As high school students, we are stubborn and want to be rebellious. We don’t want to be told what to do. However, according to the CDC, the truth of this matter is that 1 in 10 teens in high school drinks and drives.

The CDC states that after only two alcoholic drinks, there is a decline in the ability to visually track moving targets as well as the ability to perform two tasks at once. With only three drinks, people also lose coordination, have difficulty steering, and have a reduced response to emergency situations, such as braking quickly.

According to the NHTSA, drunk drivers are less likely to be wearing seat restraints, making injuries in accidents more serious.

The AAA (American Automobile Association) performed a survey where 84% teens said their friends would more likely drive drunk than call their parents for a ride. 22% said they’d ride with someone who has been drinking rather than calling their parents.

An even scarier statistic is that 53% of teens who said they’d been drinking during or after prom said they drank 4 or more alcoholic drinks.

But you probably won’t be remembering these statistics when you choose to drink or not. Think about your family and those you care about. Think about your plans for your life and how they are nowhere near finished.

On May 19th, be a leader and suggest going to After Prom instead of drinking. If you see a classmate of yours drinking, make sure they do not get behind the wheel.