Honoring the Profession

Mr. Wallace Green receives his Teacher of the Year plaque.

Kenzie Peeke, Staff

In his 26th year of teaching, Grafton High School’s sole AP 12 literature teacher, Mr. Wallace Green, was awarded Teacher of the Year.

Green has pursued his career as an English teacher with the hope of inspiring his students to adapt a similar love of literature as his own.

“A pleasant surprise was finding that I really enjoy working with high school students as well,” Green said with a slight smile.

Throughout the years, Green said he has realized that every class is unique and has its own dynamic. Different students bring out different aspects of his personality as well as different kinds of discussions. Because of the differing dynamics in his classes over the years, Green has said he doesn’t have a favorite memory, but a plethora of cherishable moments.

“It’s not a singular moment, it’s a type of moment… it’s not even the thank you, it’s the acknowledgment that students are taking away something from the class,” Green said.

Green’s passion for teaching and student’s success is evident in the way he conducts his everyday classroom activities. Whether it is a lecture or group discussion, the atmosphere always promotes academic excellence and inclusiveness. His students especially appreciate their relationship with him that goes beyond the impersonal, structured relationship of the classroom.

“I have immense respect for Mr. Green, not only as a teacher, but as a mentor and individual I hope to emulate,” Sam Janousek said.

As students prepare for college, senior year for many high school students is both an exciting and daunting time. Green’s ability to create a college-like environment in a high school setting helps to ensure his students’ future success in following years.

“Although I heard intimidating things about his class before, I am very grateful for how Mr. Green prepared me for future college courses. We love an icon,” Christina Jefferson said.

Green said he is grateful for receiving the teacher of the year award not only because of what it says about his own performance, but also because of what it represents for teachers altogether.

“Even though we are honoring one person, we are truly honoring the profession,” Green said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Honoring the Profession”

1. Daniel Choi on March 20th, 2018 11:41 am

That’s pretty neat.

[Reply]

• News

The Voyage Season 1 Episode 18

• News

The Voyage Season 1 Episode 17

• News

The Voyage Season 1 Episode 16

• Honoring the Profession

News

The voyage season 1 episode 15

• Honoring the Profession

Local News

3D Event Against Impaired Driving

• Honoring the Profession

News

The voyage season 1 episode 14

• News

The voyage season 1 episode 13

• Honoring the Profession

News

The voyage season 1 episode 12

• Honoring the Profession

News

The Voyage season 1 episode 11

• Honoring the Profession

News

The Voyage season 1 episode 9

Honoring the Profession