Students walking for a change

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students walking for a change

Photo: @ajplus twitter account

Photo: @ajplus twitter account

Photo: @ajplus twitter account

Photo: @ajplus twitter account

Tori Chipchase, Co-Editor-in-Chief 2016-2018

According to NBC News, as a result of the school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14, 2018, there are several walkouts planned over the next few months as students fight to promote change.

The movement will being with the EMPOWER,this is Women’s March youth branch. Their walkout will take place on March 14, 2018 at 10 a.m. and last for 17 minutes to pay respect to the 17 people who were killed during the shooting.

Stated on the Women’s March website, the EMPOWER branch is hoping that this walkout will prove to Washington D.C. that students want change in order to feel safe in their own schools.

“Students and allies are organizing the national school walkout to demand Congress pass legislation to keep us safe from gun violence at our schools, on our streets and in our homes and places of worship,” stated EMPOWER.

As announced by March for Our Lives, the students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School planned their own walkout, “March for Our Lives,” for March 24, 2018 in Washington D.C. to urge Congress to pass new gun control laws.

“We need action. To demand that [students’] lives and safety become a priority and that we end gun violence and mass shootings in our schools today,” March of Our Lives website stated.

According to NBC News, there is another walkout planned on April 20, 2018 to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Columbine shooting. Lane Murdock from Connecticut High School has organized this event. She is encouraging students to wear orange to show support, walkout from school, and protest throughout communities and online.

Murdock felt like it was necessary to take action because she believes no progress has been made since the Columbine shooting. Students feel as if Congress has not taken the action that they need in order to feel safe in schools. Students across the community are hoping that these actions taking place will promote action to occur in Washington.

“Nothing has changed since Columbine, let us start a movement that lets the government know the time for change is now,” Murdock said.

About the Writer

Tori Chipchase is studying in her junior year at Grafton High School. She aspires to backpack across Europe, but hopes to visit England to see her family. The main Netflix series Tori savors is One Tree Hill. Tori is an avid supporter of the Pay it Forward foundation and relishes conversing about it....