The legends of Crawford Road

AAA BBB

Sami Gibbons, Staff

It is said that a group of friends were driving on Crawford Road late at night and listening to a new CD. According to the Colonial Ghosts website, once they approached Crybaby Bridge, the song turned into a high-pitched shriek for about ten seconds when they were far from the bridge, and that shrill sound can still be heard on the CD today.

Colonial Ghosts mentions a different group of friends who felt like they ran over something after passing under the bridge. Hand prints appeared as their windows fogged up, and the friends heard something fall onto their roof and slide down the trunk of the car. The group got out of the car and saw nothing in the road.

While there is little information about these experiences to suggest they actually happened, students report similar happenings from their time on Crawford Road.

“I turned my car off, and it wouldn’t turn back on, I started flipping out,” senior John Thewes said.

Another student, junior Whitney Horton, said that although nothing in particular happened to her on the road, she felt uncomfortable driving on it.

“We turned our car off and sat under the bridge, I was definitely scared,” Horton said.

Junior Aubrea Glade said she and her friends saw unusual things when they decided to travel on the road.

“When we got to our friend’s house, we noticed there were handprints smudged on the window Blake swore were not there before,” Glade said.

She said she was unsure, though, if anything supernatural had actually taken place.

“It may have all been fake but that night we all went home spooked,” Glade said.

According to Coastal Virginia Magazine, many teenagers and young adults will turn their car off under the bridge because legend says it is when the ghosts reveal themselves.

All the rumors about the bridge portray suffering and injustice. One legend says the Ku Klux Klan used to hang hundreds of victims on Crybaby Bridge. According to Haunted VA, some sources portray this as fact or believe the KKK still meets on the road to this day. According to Coastal Virginia Magazine, it is also rumored that slaves who attempted to escape were hung on the bridge.

The magazine goes on to say there was a woman who was escaping her marriage to a man she did not love and hung herself in her wedding dress on the road.

“There have been more stories told about what happens around Crawford Road in Yorktown, Virginia than any other road in Virginia,” according to a blog called Haunted VA.

There are many sceptics about whether or not paranormal activity has occurred on the road, however. Coastal Virginia Magazine interviewed ghost expert and author L.B. Taylor Jr about his investigation in 2013.

“I think it’s more an urban legend than an actual haunting,” Taylor said.

Frank Green, a deputy for the York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office for 25 years, drove on the road numerous times during his career. Green said that the legends about the road started in the 1970s.

“I rode down there at various times of day and night, and have yet to see anything down Crawford Road or the bridge or anything like that,” Green said.

Green attacked many of the rumours during the interview. He said there could have not been any slave hangings on the Crybaby Bridge because the bridge was not that old.

“There was KKK in York County, but as far as I know, all they did was meet right where Tabb High School is at,” Green said.

Green said he believes the fear regarding the road sprang from the cold-case killings of three couples along Colonial Parkway in the 1980s.

No matter if the rumours have true facts behind them, or are just based off suspicion, they have caused teens in the area to be intrigued and mystified for decades. For a spooky adventure anytime of the year, take a detour to Crawford Road.