Mr. Kirsch: A Teacher, Mentor, and Tutor

Emma Richards, Staff

Of the many teachers here at Grafton, there are few that have been here since Grafton’s opening, including Mr. Kirsch. He has been both band director and mentor for thousands of students over the past 21 years, and he has become an important figure in many students lives.

His welcoming demeanor and open arms has made students feel that they can go to the band, or more specifically Mr. Kirsch, whenever they are going through a rough time, or just need someone to talk to.

“He’s approachable, he’s not someone who’s quick to judge. The band kids kinda to look up to him as a mentor that they can confide in,” junior Liam Purdy said.

Liam has grown close with Mr. Kirsch being the alto saxophone section leader.

People often feel intimidated when walking into band, but as time goes on and relationships grow, people find their place.

“It was scary, to be honest, I didn’t really know how to march and play at the same time. I was surrounded by strangers and it was uncomfortable at first, but now I feel more comfortable with Kirsch now, I mean I’ve spent 4 years with him,” senior, Hannah McCall said  .

His ultimate goal throughout his years was to make an impact on the student over the four years he teaches them.

“I always to hope to make an impact on each student, hopefully a good impact, but there’s always going to be people that dislike my personality, or the way I teach,” Kirsch said with a smile.

Mr. Kirsch has always tried to understand each students’ point of view.  However, he felt as if the student population has changed over the years in regards to attitude and personality.

“I feel like every student is unique. However, I feel like the student body has changed with the administration and as views and opinions changed over time,” Kirsch said.

On the other hand, he felt as if he had also changed with the student population as well.

“I know I’ve changed with the student body, one of my previous students had mentioned that I was nicer, even, than I was when she was taught here. Everybody changes a little bit whenever they’re placed in an environment with thousands of views,” Kirsch  said.

“I always to hope to make an impact on each student, hopefully a good impact, but there’s always going to be people that dislike my personality, or the way I teach,” said Kirsch.

Kirsch is one of those people who’s always willing to give them advice, whether it may be music, study tips, or just life in general. “I want to give them all the chances they can access to succeed in life. It’s always satisfying to know that you’ve had a small part in their life, and to just help them along the way through anything they need. That’s what I like to see,” Kirsch said.

Throughout his years at Grafton, Mr. Kirsch has been there for hundreds of high schoolers, helping them succeed through their musical and high school careers.  He has been a role model and an influence for many years and has become a cornerstone of what Grafton is today.