Grafton competition cheer dominate the mat

Grafton+competition+cheer+showing+their+routine+to+the+student+body+at+the+fall+pep+rally.+
Grafton competition cheer showing their routine to the student body at the fall pep rally.

Dan Trevino

Whitney Horton, Writer

Grafton Competition Cheer ended their season with their second state championship victory in a row. The team worked hard all season, but they had many obstacles along the way to continue their winning streak.

The team was mostly made up of new underclassmen and a few returners. Junior Gracie Sears was on the team the previous season and was challenged this year with being a leader of the young team.

“It was pretty easy, being only a junior, I’ve always looked up to the seniors in my previous years, so this year I knew exactly how to handle this season,” Sears said.

Gracie Sears’s leadership brought the team together by creating a positive, driven environment.

“I mainly have to give props to Gracie Sears, because she has been on the team the longest and she really kept us together when things weren’t working out,” sophomore Jackson Amirshahi said.

Without Sears’s guidance and drive the team would not have been so successful due to all of the challenges they faced.

This season the team struggled with many problems related to injuries.

”Our team went through a lot of ups and downs; we had Emma Hodges get a broken arm, people getting wrists, and ankles taped 24-7, but I believed we would still make it to states,” senior Hailey Faulk said.

One of the biggest injuries that affected the team was freshman Emma Hodges’s broken arm; it was both traumatic for Emma and the team.

“We were at practice and she was flying and fell back and broke her arm,” senior Hayley Chipchase said.

The team struggled at first to recover from the loss, but they eventually overcame it.

“We decided to push and do it for Emma; that’s what encouraged people to do so amazing at competitions and pushed us to win states,” Chipchase said.

Although they had to start fresh this season, the team worked diligently to earn their title as champions. The team started preparing early to accomplish their goals.

“We started preparing for states at the beginning of the season in August,” Hodges said.

They worked on various stunts and routines that their coaches put together throughout the season to score the most points.

On November 4th, the Grafton Competition Cheer team walked into the VCU arena full of confidence in themselves and their team’s ability to win the competition.

“I absolutely believed we could win,” sophomore Molly King said.

After a long season full of hard work, the team succeeded in achieving a perfect score, and won their second consecutive state championship title.

The team’s ability to work together is what made them strong this season.

“If we weren’t as supportive for each other, we would not have been able to achieve what we did this season,” Amirshahi said.